Own It: Reflecting on 2018 Growth
For those who manage a team, many of you may have individual action plans in place for team members and group goals for your department. But do you have one for yourself? The new year is the perfect time to create an individual action plan and take ownership for your own professional development for the next year.
Here are the best practices for creating a S.M.A.R.T. individual action plan:
- Specific: Make sure your goals are specific, don’t generalize and be sure to include details.
- Measurable: This could be in the form of improved financial success for your department or organization, more positive survey results, or a specific number of prospects you want to see each quarter.
- Achievable: Are your goals realistic? Can you reasonably attain them within the quarter or year? Don’t set yourself up for failure.
- Relevant: Whether it’s learning a new skill in your organization, or vying for that promotion, make sure the goals are relevant to your current career plan.
- Target Date: Give yourself a deadline. Deadlines are all about accountability and who should be accountable for your results but you?!
With the holiday season in full swing, it’s important to take time to think about ourselves. Starting the new year with a S.M.A.R.T. action plan will set you up for success and help you own your professional development, and ultimately your career.
Center for Practical Management helps companies achieve organizational goals and behavior change initiatives through tailored consulting services, leadership coaching, employee skills training and marketing services. Learn more at www.cf-pm.com
Center for Practical Management is a strategic business partner with Raddon, a Fiserv Company. Learn more at www.raddon.com